Re: [SLE] my second serial port has vanished ;-(
  • From: Constant Brouerius van Nidek <constant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 21:35:21 +0700
On Saturday 22 May 2004 20:40, Marshall Heartley wrote:
> Forgot to have my morning caffeine before replying.
>
> > The info was: /dev/ttyS1: Device or resource busy
>
> This usually means that something is using a resource that is
> keeping ttyS1 from operating. It could be something like a memory
> address is being used by another device, IRQ is being used, etc.
>
> Well the standard memory address and IRQ assignment for com2 or
> ttyS1 in linux is if memory serves me correctly is 02f8 and irq 3.
>
> You can check these files and see what is being detected by the OS.
>
> /proc/ioports and /proc/interrupts and see if the second serial
> port is there. I assume that the port is enabled in BIOS so this
> is where I would start looking.

Both ports are enabled in BIOS with the standard addresses.

> You can do a cat command to look at the above files like so.
>
> cat /proc/interrupts
> cat /proc/ioports

ioports gave the info that both ports are there at the right address

02f8-02ff : serial(auto)
03f8-03ff : serial(auto)

No conflicts were visible. Interrupts gave no info about the irq's
from the serial ports.

> This should help you get in the right direction. What was the
> command that you issued to setserial to try and use the port?

setserial -a /dev/ttyS1

> You can also use lsof /dev/ttyS1 to see if any programs are using
> the port.

lsof just ran without giving any info, meaning I think that it did not
see a user.