Re: [SLE] e100 speed duplex under 9.1
  • From: Johan <yep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 12:41:25 +0200
Fredag 21 maj 2004 11:48 skrev Simon Oliver:
> Johan wrote
>
> > It was me who did that posting on that issue ......
> >
> > it would be nice to know what motherboard and chipset plus which
> > controller-chip is used for the lan
>
> Supermicro 370SSM Intel8215 based, with PCI 8255x Ethernet Pro 100
> NIC (offboard).
>
> > > ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off duplex full
> > > rmmod e100; modprobe e100
> >
> > Did try out you suggested fix. please watch the result below
> >

> > B2:/home/b2 # rmmod e1000; modprobe e1000
> > B2:/home/b2 # ethtool eth0
>
> I'm using an e100 not an e1000.
>
> As I said, ethtool did work for me. But, I found that not only was
> it necessary to reload the e100.o module, I also had to do this a
> couple of times or put a sleep in between the unload and reload:
>
> ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off duplex full
> modprobe -r e100; sleep 2; modprobe e100
>
> Here's the output:
>
> Settings for eth0:
> Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
> Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
> Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
> 100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
> Advertised auto-negotiation: No
> Speed: 100Mb/s
> Duplex: Full
> Port: MII
> PHYAD: 1
> Transceiver: internal
> Auto-negotiation: off
> Supports Wake-on: d
> Wake-on: d
> Current message level: 0x00000007 (7)
> Link detected: yes
>
> So I've got it working, once booted but not during boot.
>
> I could edit the init.d scripts and insert the ethtool command as
> required but these could easily get replaced by a YaST update.
>
> I could use boot.local but that gets run too late!
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Simon Oliver

Thanx for that little tip (hope it helps me) couse 10Mbit traffic on
my NFS is a bore :-/

I'll have a close look at that "sucker" ;-) and let it sleep a little
before kicking it again :-)

But having read the documents on the matter in the kernel I suspect
that for full functionality I have to wait for a fresh driver that
supports the latest and greates (chip-wize). My controllerchip is not
mentioned as of yet ... but I have started a conversation with some
Intel developers and they're trying to recreate the problem (with
same motherboard (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)

Johan