Re: [SLE] can connect to isp, but can't open webpages
  • From: The Purple Tiger <Jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:55:05 +0100
On Friday 21 May 2004 12:16, Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva wrote:
> Thanks for helping, Purple and C. Hamel!
> Consider that I am *not* using a DNS server, but a dial-up
> connection. I have never needed to set DNS to access internet whether
> on Windows or Linux. Some more ideas?
> a.
Hey there :)

Whilst you may not be running a DNS server, you will definitely be
needing to set your DNS server to access things like named URLs rather
than IP addresses.
The reason? DNS translates the "human readable" form of
"www.google.com" into a "machine readable" IP address. Please note
that I am oversimplifying here just to give you the general idea.

If you were hosting your own domain you would want to set up a DNS
server. However, as you are accessing the internet only, you need to
let your machine know where to find other DNS servers so it can
translate human-readable addresses to computer form.

The two addresses I suggested you tried are actually the same! The
first was "human readable" which requires the use of a DNS server (at
your ISP) and the second was the "machine readable" version that won't
require a DNS lookup.

Did the dotted quad IP address work (http://216.239.59.99/)? If it
didn't, then it would suggest a routing problem or some other
connectivity problem. It is one way of trying to isolate the problem.

For your info, when you dial up with Windows or Linux, you normally get
a dynamic IP and your ISP informs your dialup software of the IP
addresses of their DNS server. You may not have had to "set it" before
as it should be sent automagically by your ISP :)

Hope this helps some more :)

Jon

< Previous Next >