Re: [SLE] kernel
  • From: Sid Boyce <sboyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 22:42:37 +0100
it clown wrote:

Hi

I am new to suse ive used RH9 for a while but now compiling
the kernel in suse is abit different.Would someone please
tell me what are the right steps now?

In RH9 i normaly went: make mrproper, make xconfig , make
dep , make clean , make bzImage , make modules , make
modules_install , make install and the kernel will be ready
to use.I would also edit the Makefile to give the new
kernel my own name. What do you do in suse?

Ive done the following:

make clean , make bzImage , make modules. cp
arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz and then ran make
modules_install. Is this the correct way off compiling the
kernel in suse if not what are the correct steps? Do i not
need to get a .config file some where like you do in RH9?

Regards
For super low premiums ,click here http://www.dialdirect.co.za/quote

Compiling a kernel on any Linux, PC, mainframe, SuSE, Mandrake, RedHat, whatever, is the same. In SuSE, you can do a "make cloneconfig" which builds a .config file, the long way round that or if you are not using a SuSE kernel.........
You can do "make mrproper" if you like, but it's not usually necessary.
1. cd /usr/src/linux-?????
2. "cp /boot/config-2.6.4-54.5-default .config" (e.g)
or "cp /proc/config.gz .config.gz
"gzip -d .config.gz"
3. "make xconfig" or whatever flavour of config you like
4. "make clean && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install"
5. "cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/<whatever_you_want_to_call_it>"
6. edit /boot/grub/menu.lst so it includes some lines for the new kernel if you don't call it vmlinuz.
7. grub-install /dev/hda (if hda is the boot HD)
Reboot.
Regards
Sid.

--
Sid Boyce .... Hamradio G3VBV and keen Flyer
Linux Only Shop.