Long hangs/pausing in Konqueror--does anyone else have this problem?
  • From: Chris Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:35:40 -0700
Hi:

In 9.1 for ia32, using the KDE 3.2.1 and the Konqueror filemanager I am having this problem with long pauses/hangs:

1. When I click the /media dir with no media installed in the CDRecorder or floppy drives, Konq. waits for a very long time (about 30 seconds) before displaying the subdirs of /media. During this time, the drive lights blink.

2. When I click my NFS mount point /mango, the drive lights blink, and again Konq. waits about 30 seconds before displaying the contents of the NFS mount dir. In other words, Konq. wants to access the removable drives when accessing the NFS mount point, which is unnecessary.

3. When a CD is in the CDRW drive, then things work better. The wait to see the contents of /media and /media/cdrecorder is much less, about 5 seconds. But Konq still periodically causes the drive lights to blink, and sometimes does this again when I access the NFS share.

4. Sometimes even when Konq is pointed at a permanent dir like /usr, the CD drive lights keep blinking every few seconds, and Konq. gets so hung that when switching to the Konq. window after having the Konq. window obstructed by another window so that Konq. is unreadable until it decides to do another screen refresh, the window is corrupted for a very long time until it refreshes. It is possible to get it into a state where the CD drive light is blinking constantly, and all filesystem browsing is interrupted by these long pauses.

Does anyone else observe behavior similar to this regarding a long pause when pointing Konq. at /media when no media is present?

Does anyone else observe that Konq. causes the drive lights for the CD and floppy to blink when one points Konq. at an NFS mount point (with a remote NFS filesystem mounted)?

Thanks for responses. I would like to figure out if this is the result of something having gotten screwed on my system, or a more pervasive problem.

I know I can fix it by editing /etc/fstab and setting up the removable drives for manual mounting/unmounting. But before I decide to set my system that way, I'd like to understand what is going on with the automatic "subfs" system in 9.1, and see if it can be made to work properly.

Basically, I think the system shouldn't attempt to access the drives until I point at their specific mount points, such as /media/cdrecorder or /media/floppy. Then it should attempt to mount them if not already mounted.

But there is no reason for the system to be probing the drives all the time spontaneously, and certainly not when I point at an NFS mount point.

Thanks. Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen