Re: [SLE] Removable media insanity
  • From: Chris Carlen <crcarle@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:53:36 -0700
Dylan wrote:
On Thursday 20 May 2004 15:50 pm, Chris Carlen wrote:

Hi:

I have been using a USB memory stick to transfer stuff from my 8.1
box to my new 9.1 box. I was doing this before getting NFS working,
and still may want to do it because there are major bugs with
Konqueror that haven't been resolved yet, that make it very difficult
to work with NFS shares.

I use nfs extensively and haven't noticed anything serious. What 'bugs' are you referring to?

When I configured the NFS client on the 9.1 box, to get shares from an NFS server running on an 8.1 box, I made the mount point /mango.

What was happening is that when I would click on the "root folder" in Konqueror's sidebar, it would show the root folder containing /mango. But then when I'd click /mango, it would pause for 30 seconds while it accessed the CDRW and floppy drives!

Then it would finally show the contents of the NFS mount point. Subsequent clicks on subdirs of the NFS share processed quickly, but when I would again click on /mango in the sidebar, it would pause and do the whole thing again.

Very annoying, and completely unnecessary, for access to the removable media drives to be occurring in this manner.

But this was a problem ocurring in parallel with the same behavior happening whenever I'd click on /media.

Then it got worse. Konqueror decided to unacknowledge the existence of /mango when looking at the root folder. However, the "devices" view showed the NFS share. It still had the pause problem. At a command promt, of course the /mango dir was alive and well. Only Konqueror somehow became unable to see it. Very strange. And very unacceptable for a program that is at the core of the desktop OS, the filemanager. It should be a rock-solid program. But it is always like this. For every Suse release for several years now, I have within a few hours of exploring the new KDE installation, found crashes and other very serious bugs with Konqueror.

I have umounted the "subfs" mounts manually at a root prompt. This has fixed the pausing problem.

What I must do now is learn what this subfs is all about, and how to control whether the system attempts to automount removable media devices or not, or lets me do it manually.

Good day!

--
Christopher R. Carlen