Mailinglist Archive: opensuse (4547 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [SLE] Update 9.0 from 9.1 DVD?
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 09:13:42 -0500
  • Message-id: <200405210913.45698.vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hash: SHA1

On Friday 21 May 2004 08:51, Basil Chupin wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
> Well, it's not restricted to an external modem as I mention in one of my
> msgs in the thread SUSE 9.1 - BAH!
> But the reason I am writing here is I would like to add the following to
> help in your quest for finding the offending updated bit(s) which is
> causing so much angst (and I think that when the problem is solved both
> you and I ought to get a free upgrade copy of the next Suse, right?).
> Today I decided to re-install (for the 11the time!) 9.1 but this time
> from the CDs and not the DVD. (This in itself I don't think may be too
> significant except for the fact that the application "tvtime" is not on
> the CDs but is installable on the DVD - interesting, eh?)
> During the install, when it came to test the connection to my ISP I
> allowed this for the first time. The connection checked out OK and then
> the check was made for any patches to 9.1 - and this was accomplished in
> no time at all! amazing.
> I then let the install process get the new updates for 9.1. Now, what
> happened next surprised me because the modem "flew" along without trying
> to catch its breath. I don't know what the thruput was but looking at
> the RD/SD from past experience it looked like it was close to the
> optimum bps.
> After 4 hours of choofing along nicely I was cutoff by my ISP because I
> reached my time limit. However, in this time the following patches
> (below) were downloaded including 56% of the kernel source patch.
> After I got disconnected I had to abort YOU and when I did it installed
> *most* of the patches and then the rest of the installation process
> carried on. The patches which were installed I have marked with an
> asterisk (below). It is one, or more of these patches, which is causing
> the problem - but which one?
> Once the patches were installed, the rest of Suse was configured and I
> went to use YOU to finish the rest of the updates -- the wheels fell
> off! The modem was almost useless and I had to abort YOU (which you
> can't BTW by simply clicking on the ABORT button- you need to login as
> root and use the KILL command).
> Anyway, the patches which were downloaded and installed (*) were (sorry,
> they are not in alphabetical order)-
> bash *
> qt3 *
> kdelibs3 *
> xine-lib
> popt *
> aaa-base *
> libtiff *
> yast2-pam *
> gconf2 *
> kdebase3-SuSE *
> kphone *
> hp-office *
> i4l-base *
> kaffeine *
> module-init *
> wvdial *
> xine-ui *
> yast2-users *
> ncurses-5.4 *
> ncurses-devel
> kernel-default 54.5
> netcfg * [noarch item]
> So, at least one of the above requires assassination.
> Cheers.
> --
> I am not young enough to know everything.
I would almost bet on gconf2, myself (I mistakenly called it gconf.d to
someone else <LOL>). In the kernel logs no program was
mentioned ...ever ...except for one time & that pkg was gconf2. For some
reason, that reference was made just after the log statement indicating that
echo was sent & not responded to.

I was afraid --and still am, to a point-- that I shall have to reinstall,
myself. As I believe I already posted, I reverted the updates w/o
reinstalling, and the modem started behaving much better! I was still
getting chopped, but not nearly so quickly! The latest online foray has me
going for nearly 10 hours, now; last evening it was 7.13 hours --I changed
the DNS from 'automatic' & manually entered the IPs... that is all.

Someone else believes this distro was rushed. I would have to concur, I
think. However, SuSE9 broke *completely* after updates; v9.1 is just
severely crippled. Accidental or no, progress has been made.

- --
'The Link' Stinks
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)


< Previous Next >
Follow Ups