Re: [SLE] can connect to isp, but can't open webpages
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 14:00:41 +0100
On Friday 21 May 2004 1:09 pm, Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva wrote:

< script and previous text snipped >

Look here mate. Do you remember this thread?
<http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-May/2683.html>

You got the answer in the first 2 replies from Anders Johansson and myself,
but you diddled around and did something else and said "Some more ideas?" in
response. After I wrote to you off-list and said there were no new ideas, so
try the ones you have been given, you got it working.

Do you notice a pattern here?

Purple Tiger gave you some sound advice in the first response to your original
question. Have you followed it? Not that you have told us, but the
information from Purple Tiger's test is as useful to the people on the list
trying to help you as it is to you. But your reply to Puple Tiger's post ends
"Some more ideas?".

So use your imagination, to think of my advice to you now and try that. I am
not trying to give to a hard time, by not telling you the advice. I am trying
to get you to go through that thinking process once for yourself, hoping that
it will help you solve more problems more quickly in future.

Please, in future, when you start an email which you know will end with the
words "Some more ideas?", stop and check whether you really have followed the
advice already given and if you have, then tell us what the outcome was. And
if you have not followed the advice, either give a good reason or don't send
the email.

Otherwise I shall suggest you do a google search on PEBKAC, which I begin to
suspect is a contributory factor which should not be imposed on the list

Vince

ps I am not going to insist, because I don't like the religious wars which
surround this topic, but many on this list would prefer that when you reply
to a post, you write your text _after_ the quoted post. For you it would be
helpful to do this and read the quoted text, before you start to write your
reply.

< Previous Next >