Re: [SLE] RE: Ticket [20040519430002952] e100 module parameters
  • From: Mike <mikedl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:56:22 -0400
On Friday 21 May 2004 06:37, Sid Boyce wrote:
> >I switched to SuSE from RedHat quite a few years ago due to buggy
> >installations.  It has become the default Linux system in my department
> > (ten servers and 30 workstations).  We are currently looking at using the
> > enterprise edition, perhaps I should look at RHEL instead?  Is this how
> > things are going to progress under Novell then?

This is why sysadmins shouldn't simply be replaced by mindless patch monkeys
(well let's not drag Microsoft into this).

When a new release comes out, you experiment with it, test, and wait until the
bugs have been ironed out before rolling it out in an organization.  You
don't just buy it, find a few problems, and switch to another distro!

Unless you come to believe that SuSE has really dropped the ball on QA and
can't recover, at least give them a chance to fix things.  Two weeks isn't
enough time if they're trying to get it right.

I remember when I was on RedHat - when they made major changes (which to their
credit, they did on x.0 numbers - unlike 9.1!) you knew they wouldn't get it
right for many months until the x.1 release!

mike.