Re: [SLE] Help compiling 2.6 module
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:31:30 -0400
On Fri, 2004-05-21 at 05:56, Sid Boyce wrote:
> Ken Schneider wrote:
>
> >I have the sources but not the knowledge for compiling a module for the
> >2.6 kernel. I have tried compiling the module but end up with the
> >following error when trying to insmod:
> >
> >insmod: error inserting 'megaide.ko': -1 Invalid module format
> >
> >Any help would be appreciated. Source available off-list.
> >
> >Ken
> >

> If there is a lib.o file (a proprietary module) included in the source,
> then it's probably for 2.4 and most likely incompatible with 2.6. Best
> to ask LSI to provide a 2.6 compatible version.

Precisely what I did. Under 9.0 I asked LSI tech support for assistance
and they supplied me with sources. With the help of Anders I was able to
compile a module and use the controller. Now with the migration from 2.4
to 2.6 the layout of and function of the sources are much different (no
make dep required). I contacted LSI tech support again and was sent
newer sources ( I specifically stated I needed sources for SuSE 9.1
running kernel 2.6.X).

Not being a programmer and since I received much support regarding this
last February I thought I would try here first. The people on this list
are some of the best in the world.

Also the specific hardware is:

Compaq Proliant ML330G3 and -cannot- use the megaraid drivers. The
megaraid controller is made by LSI but the one in this (onboard) server
is different.

Check out
> http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html, it also suggests an
> alternative driver that's in 2.6.x the kernel source.

Will do.

--
Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989