Re: [SLE] Upgrading to Gnome 2.6: Is it worth it?
  • From: James Ogley <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 07:24:24 +0100
> I don't know if any of you have tried Gnome 2.6, but I was wondering if
> it is worth the effort to install it. I'm going to be making some
> changes anyway as I just ordered my copy of SuSE 9.1 and was wondering
> if I should try Gnome 2.6.
> Any input would be appreciated.

I tried some betas using Garnome, looked good, but of course it's always
a personal thing. The new spatial Nautilus looks cool, it's a good
idea, but it drove me nuts (you can revert to a "browser" type approach
with a GConf key change, and a future version will have it in the UI)

Given you're thinking about it, I assume you've got a nice fat internet
connection to download it on, so I'd say give Garnome a try - you can
install it in a different prefix to your SuSE-supplied GNOME install, so
if you want to revert to 2.4 you can do easily...

http://www.gnome.org/~jdub/garnome/

(Alternatively Paul Drain maintains a version based on the latest 2.6.1
sources at ftp://cipherfunk.org/pub/tarballs/garnome/)
--
James Ogley, UNIX Systems Administrator, Pinnacle Insurance Plc
james.ogley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx +44 (0) 20 8731 3619 www.pinnacle.co.uk