Re: [SLE] I'm going to have to return SuSE tonight
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 08:01:59 +0200
Hi,

On Friday 21 May 2004 03:33, me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> So now I'm completely lost. A computer that functioned perfectly fine now
> goes completely haywire every couple days no matter what hard drive or
> filesystem I use. I really have no choice but to consider that the problem
> lies with the OS itself. I respect the fact that others are having no
> problems, but I'm having plent. And I've run everything from SuSE 8.0 to
> SuSE 8.2 to FreeBSD to Mandrake to Fedora on this machine without any
> problems. And the Fedora install was a 6 month install that I yanked less
> than a week ago in exchange for SuSE. So that's really the only thing
> that's changed unless this is somehow indicative of a motherboard going bad
> or an IDE chain gone bad (I've already checked the RAM). Otherwise, I have
> to believe it's something with the OS. And it always works at the start. It
> goes bad after a few updates online.

You may want to try this:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2001/08/hmeyer_memtest-sig11.html

This is just to test for any stability issues. To me it (your description of
the symptom) doesn't sound like one - but on the other hand, this is
certainly not a "normal" behaviour of the 9.1 release. So something is odd
here.

Did you install any software other than that provided on the SUSE install
media?

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut