Re: [SLE] SUSE 9.1 hostname and domain
  • From: John Coldrick <jc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 20 May 2004 16:54:44 -0400
On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 16:45, Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
> On Thu, May 20, John Coldrick wrote:
>

> > I'm having trouble getting a licensed product on a SUSE system
> > contacting the license server(which happens to be running on Redhat
> > 7.3). We've elminated blocked ports, etc. One thing that has been
> > determined is that typically, if you enter:
> >
> > hostname
> >
> > on the client machine(in this case, the SUSE system), you should get a
> > response in the form of:
> >
> > foo.domain.com
>
> hostname -f will give you the long name, hostname gives you only the
> short one.

Thanks, I understand that, but it's not the same as, say, Redhat.
Redhat gives us the name with the full domain added on, and it's my
understanding that hostname simple calls gethostname() to do it. What I
suspect I need is this function call working the same way on SUSE.

It's possible(but highly unlikely) that's it's the hostname on SUSE
that's the culprit - I doubt it though, and it's not the thing being
called by the app anyway - it's probably gethostname(). I'm thinking
it's the way the networking is configured by default by SUSE, and I'm
trying to see if I can change it. Am I making sense? :)

Cheers,

J.C.

--
John Coldrick www.axyzfx.com Axyz Animation
Houdini/Renderman/Discreet 425 Adelaide St W