Re: [SLE] Reacting s-l-o-w-l-y after 24 hr up-time
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:01:36 -0500

On Thursday 20 May 2004 00:04, Hartmut Meyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thursday 20 May 2004 05:35, C Hamel wrote:
> > My SuSE installation has been up & active for 24 hours. Now,
> > applications are starting to slow down & some become totally
> > unresponsive.
>
> Check with "top" which applications eat your CPU time. Also check on the
> load average (shown in "top").
>
> It could be a simple thing like a browser with a java applet eating all
> your CPU time. A process that is causing heavy disk I/O could also be the
> cause.
>
> Maybe there's a cron job running (like updatedb).
>

> Greetings from Bremen
> hartmut
Seems whatever it was that caused this problem was fairly short-lived... so it
may have been cron. It seemed only to affect the konqueror web browser &
kget, however. Kget quit responding & the browser was sluggish. Firefox
loaded fairly quickly, as always. I'll keep my eye on 'top' (no pun
intended) to see what I can learn. Thanks!
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365