Re: [SLE] Sony Vaio K115-M
  • From: Luca Mollica <luca_mollica@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:32:25 +0200
On Thursday 20 May 2004 15:01, Martin Mielke wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> has anyone installed SuSE Linux on a Sony Vaio K115-M? Hints on this are
> much appreciated.

Dear Martin,

I have recently installed SUSE 9.0 Pro on a Sony VAIO notebook, but the model
is not the same of you (my one is PCG-GRT816S). Sony VAIO hardware functions
are fully covered by Windows XP, and this is a matter of company policy, but
Linux works fine on my VAIO notebook, except modem chipset that is not yet
supported.
Please browse all my mail sent by me during the last two months: all the
threads refer to this installation of SUSE 9.0 Pro.
Moreover, visit these sites

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/VAIO+Linux.html
http://patrick.net/vaio/ ( ...and the links present on the web page ... )
http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/sony.html (this is probabily the most useful
URL for you)

Please consider seriously the fact that modem is not supported: I have a LAN
connection in my workplace, therefore I use this connection to download info
and software, but I am forced to connect from home using WinXP, even if I am
planning to by a serial modem in order to connect using Linux. The troubles
with modem are fully descibed in

linmodems.technion.ac.il

that is the mailing list for linmodems divers and troubles: browse
linuxant.com, download and use Scanmodem software in order to know if your
modem is supported or not. This should be the only problem you could
experience.

Have a nice VAIO set up!