Weird Ping Problem (can't!) on 9.1
  • From: David Harrigan <david.harrigan@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 09:01:25 +0100
Hi,

This is a tale of woe, so please bear with me and if anyone can help I
would appreciate it. Firstly, let me say that I've had no problems with
Suse 9.0. I've been using it since Christmas. Last weekend, I upgraded
(then downgraded to XP) to 9.1.

The problem I'm experiencing is that I cannot get ping to ping. It
appears that Suse 9.1 is not honouring my resolv.conf. Here, in short
format is what is happening.

resolv.conf:
search my-domain.local otherdomain
nameserver 192.168.0.100
nameserver 192.168.0.101

nsswitch.conf is set to files then dns.
host.conf has hosts bind in it.

If I ping:

cvs101

I get no response back, in fact ping comes back after a while with
the dreaded words "unknown host".

If I nslookup:

cvs101

I get back a FQDN cvs101.my-domain.local.

I know that nslookup is doing a direct connect to the nameserver,
whereas ping et al is honouring resolv.conf.

If I ping cvs101.my-domain.local I get back a response.

Funnily enough cvs101 is handled by a different nameserver on a
different domain but the nameservers that I get via DHCP should be
forwarding on to "otherdomain." You can see it's in my search path
on resolv.conf.

I cannot ping any hosts in my domain.

I hate to say this (but I must!) that it all works fine on XP, and
another guy's machine who is running Fedora Core 1, and again it was
working fine on Suse 9.0.

I do not believe any firewall software is running (iptables -L -n
reports blank). Plus, I tried this on the Suse 9.1 Live Eval CD as
well and it has the same problem.

I've done some googling someone mentioned a problem with Suse 6 and
the version of libdns in use. Suse 9.1 has libdns.so.11.

Anyone got any idea. I spent an entire day on Monday trying to solve
this with no success?

-=david=-

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and are
addressed. This communication represents the originator's personal views and
opinions, which do not necessarily reflect those of HPI Limited. If you are
not the original recipient or the person responsible for delivering the
email to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this
email in error, and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or
copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you received this email in
error, please immediately notify postmaster@xxxxxxxxxx

This message has been scanned by Panda Anti-Virus. Recipients are advised to
apply their own virus checks to this message on delivery.