Re: [SLE] Weird Modem Behaviour
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 15:52:26 +1000
Bruce Marshall wrote:
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 09:12 am, Basil Chupin wrote:

I have been having a similar problem but may have found the problem.

I am running 9.0 but I *was* running with kernel 2.6.6. I also was
having thruput problems on a normal 56k dialup modem. Things wouldn't
stop completely, but the throughput was almost non-existant... really
poor.

I was yelling at my ISP (and fortunately I have a good relationship with
them) and they were testing dialup response and not finding any
problems... and also said that I was the only one complaining. (and I
believe them).

I tried different phone numbers, and a different (but the same type)
modem (USR V-everything) but nothing really changed. At one point I
dialed into another ISP and things got really good for awhile, but then
slowed down again. (sound familiar?)

At that point, I switched back to a 2.4.25 kernel and things have been a
lot different since. Pretty good thruput. So I am thinking there are
problems in the 2.6.6 kernel somewhere. NOTE: Both of these kernels
are stock, vanilla kernels from kernel.org so SuSE has nothing to do
with them.

Not sure how to shoot this kind of problem but I think there definitely
is a problem.

Thanks for confirming what I have exprienced (very, very close to being
the same as you). See my message I sent yesterday with the Subject of
SUSE 5.1 - BAH!

Basil:

Can you tell me what kernel you are running (with 9.1) and then check in /boot and see if CONFIG_PREEMPT is set.

I have recompiled 2.6.6 with preempt turned off and it seems (after just a few minutes) to have solved my problem with slow modem thruput. It would seem that it could also solve your problem.

See the repsonse from C Hamel (who is the pot stirrer on this one :-) ). We are both running the stock standard 9.1 kernel (2.6.4-5).

Cheers.