Re: [SLE] dual boot for two distro in lilo menu - it should be easy but doesn't work
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 21:55:32 +0100
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 7:28 pm, Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva wrote:
> sorry, I don't understand yet what is missing in my lilo.conf (SuSE in
> /dev/hda6) to make my option "slackware" bootable. Slackware is in
> /dev/hda10 and the option "linux" (for SuSE) is booting.
> I can boot slackware with the cd-rom and entering:
> $bare.i root=/dev/hda10 noinitrd ro
> If I can boot with CD-ROM, so there is nothing wrong with the slackware
> partition. So, how could I make it bootable too, via boot menu of SuSE?
> Thanks for any help
> a.
> To understand my situation take a look at:
> http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-May/2581.html

I hve not looked at this in great detail, but one thing does strike me from
your 2 lilo.conf files included in the list archive URL. That is that there
are 2 of them.

You need to decide which one you are going to make work, either SUSE or
Slackware and stick with that one. It is possible to have both running
together, I have GRUB and LILO here. But you must be clear about which one is
booted by the BIOS. In my case GRUB is booted by the BIOS and the LILO
bootsector is a file on my /boot dir, referenced by GRUB.

In your case, I recommend you work only with the SUSE LILO, to get a working
config and when you succeed, you can try making the Slackware LILO co-operate
with the SUSE LILO if you need to or want to experiment.

So assuming that you will work with the SUSE LILO, you must refer to
everything as seen by SUSE, even the Slackware. For example your SUSE
lilo.conf includes:

image = /boot/vmlinuz
    label = linux
    append = "hdc=ide-scsi"
    initrd = /boot/initrd
    root = /dev/hda6
    vga = 788

image = /boot/vmlinuz
    label = slackware
    root = /dev/hda10
    vga = normal
    read-only

image = /boot/vmlinuz.suse
    label = failsafe
    append = "ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off hdc=ide-scsi"
    initrd = /boot/initrd.suse
    optional
    root = /dev/hda6
    vga = 788

which says these things:

1] Your SUSE partition is /hda6 and slackware is /hda10

2] Your main SUSE kernel is /boot/vmlinuz and initrd is /boot/initrd as seen
by SUSE

3] Your failsafe SUSE kernel is /boot/vmlinuz.suse and initrd is /boot/
initrd.suse as seen by SUSE

4] Your Slackware kernel is your main SUSE kernel with no initrd

You may have reason to boot Slackware with a SUSE kernel, but if SUSE requires
the initrd, so would Slackware. More likely, you want to run Slackware with
its own kernel. If this is the case, you must mount the partition with the
Slackware kernel in SUSE and give the path to the kernel as SUSE sees it in
lilo.conf, before running LILO in SUSE.

hth

Vince Littler

< Previous Next >