Re: [SLE] Weird Modem Behaviour
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 13:38:23 -0500

On Wednesday 19 May 2004 13:19, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 May 2004 09:12 am, Basil Chupin wrote:
> > > I have been having a similar problem but may have found the problem.
> > >
> > > I am running 9.0 but I *was* running with kernel 2.6.6. I also was
> > > having thruput problems on a normal 56k dialup modem. Things wouldn't
> > > stop completely, but the throughput was almost non-existant... really
> > > poor.
> > >
> > > I was yelling at my ISP (and fortunately I have a good relationship
> > > with them) and they were testing dialup response and not finding any
> > > problems... and also said that I was the only one complaining. (and I
> > > believe them).
> > >
> > > I tried different phone numbers, and a different (but the same type)
> > > modem (USR V-everything) but nothing really changed. At one point I
> > > dialed into another ISP and things got really good for awhile, but then
> > > slowed down again. (sound familiar?)
> > >
> > > At that point, I switched back to a 2.4.25 kernel and things have been
> > > a lot different since. Pretty good thruput. So I am thinking there
> > > are problems in the 2.6.6 kernel somewhere. NOTE: Both of these
> > > kernels are stock, vanilla kernels from kernel.org so SuSE has nothing
> > > to do with them.
> > >
> > > Not sure how to shoot this kind of problem but I think there definitely
> > > is a problem.
> >
> > Thanks for confirming what I have exprienced (very, very close to being
> > the same as you). See my message I sent yesterday with the Subject of
> > SUSE 5.1 - BAH!
>
> Basil:
>
> Can you tell me what kernel you are running (with 9.1) and then check
> in /boot and see if CONFIG_PREEMPT is set.
>
> I have recompiled 2.6.6 with preempt turned off and it seems (after just a
> few minutes) to have solved my problem with slow modem thruput. It would
> seem that it could also solve your problem.
>

> --
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/19/04
> 14:17 +
> +--------------------------------------------------------------------------
>--+ "If God had meant for us to go to rock concerts, he would have given us
> tickets."
Since I started the thread... <G> ...I'll respond: The kernel is the default
installation kernel for 9.1 Personal. Now, a question: How dows one check
the preemption?

Thanks!
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365

< Previous Next >