Re: [SLE] Weird Modem Behaviour
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 14:19:18 -0400
On Wednesday 19 May 2004 09:12 am, Basil Chupin wrote:

> > I have been having a similar problem but may have found the problem.
> >
> > I am running 9.0 but I *was* running with kernel 2.6.6. I also was
> > having thruput problems on a normal 56k dialup modem. Things wouldn't
> > stop completely, but the throughput was almost non-existant... really
> > poor.
> >
> > I was yelling at my ISP (and fortunately I have a good relationship with
> > them) and they were testing dialup response and not finding any
> > problems... and also said that I was the only one complaining. (and I
> > believe them).
> >
> > I tried different phone numbers, and a different (but the same type)
> > modem (USR V-everything) but nothing really changed. At one point I
> > dialed into another ISP and things got really good for awhile, but then
> > slowed down again. (sound familiar?)
> >
> > At that point, I switched back to a 2.4.25 kernel and things have been a
> > lot different since. Pretty good thruput. So I am thinking there are
> > problems in the 2.6.6 kernel somewhere. NOTE: Both of these kernels
> > are stock, vanilla kernels from kernel.org so SuSE has nothing to do
> > with them.
> >
> > Not sure how to shoot this kind of problem but I think there definitely
> > is a problem.
>
> Thanks for confirming what I have exprienced (very, very close to being
> the same as you). See my message I sent yesterday with the Subject of
> SUSE 5.1 - BAH!

Basil:

Can you tell me what kernel you are running (with 9.1) and then check
in /boot and see if CONFIG_PREEMPT is set.

I have recompiled 2.6.6 with preempt turned off and it seems (after just a
few minutes) to have solved my problem with slow modem thruput. It would
seem that it could also solve your problem.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/19/04 14:17 +
"If God had meant for us to go to rock concerts, he would have given us
tickets."