Re: [SLE] firebird v firefox?
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:43:12 +1000
Stephen W wrote:
Hello All

I have been quite content using "firebird" and am
ready to put together a new system. I have read some
complaints on the recent release from mozilla (aka
firefox). Any special reasons to go to or avoid
firefox -- other than it is the newest (which really
is not amopng my motivations) ?

Thanks

'Firebird' has not been known under this name for quite some time - it is now known as 'Firefox'. And Mozilla is not 'aka firefox' but IS Mozilla.

Mozilla is a suite consisting of a browser and a mail client.

At some point in time last year (I think), there was a "branching", for want of a better word, of Mozilla into (what is now called) Firefox, the browser, and (now called) Thunderbird, the mail client.

The thought at that time was that Mozilla had a limited life span and would be replaced by Firefox and Thunderbird. I don't recall which 1.x release of Mozilla is supposed to be its last version (it's up to 1.7RC1 I think).

I've been using both Firefox and Thundebird since they first appeared (in their basic, crude forms) and, apart form minor glitches, they have been OK. I update both on a nightly basis, BTW.

However, in the past several days both (nightly builds) Firefox and Thnderbird have developed more than small glitches. For example, tonight's Thunderbird I had to wipe and re-install yesterday's (but it has a minor bug which I know about and can handle). Re Firefox I suggest the following-

download the ....gtk2+xft-installer.tar.gz file and install this. The standard ...gtk2+xft.tar.gz version just doesn't work as well as the full installer version. In other words, fully installing is safer to use.

Cheers.