Re: [SLE] Opinions about a small LAN with real IP shortage
  • From: Togan Muftuoglu <toganm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:09:43 +0200
* David Krider; <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on 19 May, 2004 wrote:
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 04:41, John Chronakis wrote:

I am setting up a lan for a small business which will also connect to the Internet with SDSL and 8 real IP subnet.

If you have a /29 block then you have 6 usable IP's not 8

The gateway will be a suse box. I only need 2 servers with real ips. The rest of the pcs will be clients.

Do you have any suggestions? I cannot make up my mind.

Do you really need more than one static public IP? Even though you have
2 servers, are they not, say, a web server and a mail server or
something? What I mean is: don't they do different things? You could
tell the world through DNS that all the services you offer come from the
gateway/firewall, and forward only those ports needed for the services
to the servers on the inside. This is all very straightforward with
SuSEfirewall2, but you'll wind up needing a dual DNS server process
strategy in any case.

himmm. lets say voip server like asterisk is on public IP I do not
need to tell the world via DNS that this is my VOIP if it works between
different VOIP providers.

Outgoing PROXY could be on a public IP no need to tell the world via DNS
that this is my proxy.

I prefer Mail and DNS share one box while WWW and FTP another box so it
makes two IP.

And then I have the gateway machine with another public ip so now I have
already used 5 Real IPs and if using a router for the DSL connection the
last IP is gone also

Of your there are other ways of doing it like using NAT then the above
will change

Just my 0.002 ยข
--

Togan Muftuoglu |
Unofficial SuSE FAQ Maintainer | Please reply to the list;

Nisi defectum, haud refiecendum

< Previous Next >