Re: [SLE] Opinions about a small LAN with real IP shortage
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 08:50:34 -0500
On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 04:41, John Chronakis wrote:

> I am setting up a lan for a small business which will also connect to
> the Internet with SDSL and 8 real IP subnet.
> The gateway will be a suse box. I only need 2 servers with real ips. The
> rest of the pcs will be clients.

> Do you have any suggestions? I cannot make up my mind.

Do you really need more than one static public IP? Even though you have
2 servers, are they not, say, a web server and a mail server or
something? What I mean is: don't they do different things? You could
tell the world through DNS that all the services you offer come from the
gateway/firewall, and forward only those ports needed for the services
to the servers on the inside. This is all very straightforward with
SuSEfirewall2, but you'll wind up needing a dual DNS server process
strategy in any case.

Regards,
dk