Re: [SLE] USB scanners in 9.1
  • From: David Lerner <dsl@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 23:05:20 -0400
Fergus Wilde wrote:

Yes, sorry, me again, seem to be having rather a fight with 9.1 as compared with 9.0, this time it's the scanner, which has been set up nicely for several versions. Installs OK, but then xsane says 'no device'. It suggests checking ownership of device file, but /dev/usbscanner is owned by my user.

Is it me, or has this version broken lots of stuff that used to work ... any ideas, folks?

I had this problem. The solution was embarrassing. I had installed a version of sane in /usr/local. This old executable was in my path even though a new version was installed in /usr/bin.

The fix was to remove /usr/local/bin/scanimage. I also removed other sane files in /usr/local.

After removing the old executable the command:
scanimage -L
found and correctly listed the scanner.

Dave