Re: [SLE] unattended backup with KDat (next quest.)
  • From: Jack Malone <jmalone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 11:09:17 -0500
At 11:03 AM 5/18/2004, Anthony Brock wrote:

I would suggest reading the man pages for 'tar' and 'mt'. In brief, you should be able to view the contents of a backup created by tar with:

tar tf /dev/st0

In the case of backing up to tape, the 'name' of your archive file is the tape device. So you simply refer to the tape device when you would normally refer to the archive name.

I believe your suggested restore command would work. However, it's been some time since I've done backups this way... :)

Has any used this method to backup to dvd-/+ RW disks. I have a new server I'm working on to go to production an I addeda dvd rw drive to the machine for backup purposes.

Thanks

jack