Re: [SLE] SCSI scanners (SOLVED)
  • From: Frits Wüthrich <frits@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 15:20:31 +0200
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 00:28, David Johanson wrote:
FJW> Frits Wüthrich wrote:
FJW> > On my SuSE9.1 system, I am not able to configure my SCSI scanner through YAST. It didn't detect a scanner automatically, and then asks to select a scanner from the list below, but the window which should show the options is completely empty.
FJW> > When I type in lsscsi I get:
FJW> >
FJW> > [0:0:2:0] scanner Color FlatbedScanner_9 0062 -
FJW> > [0:0:3:0] scanner Color FilmScanner____1 0092 -
FJW> >
FJW> > At least the flatbed should be accasible, it worked fine under SuSE8.1, and even on this system with Vuescan which fine with both scanners.
FJW> >
FJW> > Any suggestions?>
FJW> >
FJW> > Frits Wüthrich
FJW> >
FJW> Evening Frits -
FJW>
FJW> Normally I wouldn't bottom post, I think it's a huge waste of effort, but just
FJW> in case others are following, I'll try to "conform" to something I despise.

Same for me, exactly.

FJW> For starters, you say yast doesn't detect your scanners of I'm reading you
FJW> correctly,. so let's start with a question and then by running an initial
FJW> command. Since you have SCSI devices, you will require generic SCSI support,
FJW> enabled in the kernel which 9.1 should offer as default, to get the scanner(s)
FJW> to show up as a /dev/sg* character device. So run,as root,"cdrecord -scanbus"
FJW> without the quotes.

Here is my output:

Cdrecord-Clone-dvd 2.01a27 (i686-suse-linux) Copyright (C) 1995-2004 Jörg Schilling
Note: This version is an unofficial (modified) version with DVD support
Note: and therefore may have bugs that are not present in the original.
Note: Please send bug reports or support requests to http://www.suse.de/feedback
Note: The author of cdrecord should not be bothered with problems in this version.
Linux sg driver version: 3.5.30
Using libscg version 'schily-0.8'.
cdrecord: Warning: using inofficial libscg transport code version (okir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx '@(#)scsi-linux-sg.c 1.80 04/03/08 Copyright 1997 J. Schilling').
scsibus0:
0,0,0 0) *
0,1,0 1) *
0,2,0 2) 'Color ' 'FlatbedScanner_9' '0062' Scanner
0,3,0 3) 'Color ' 'FilmScanner____1' '0092' Scanner
0,4,0 4) *
0,5,0 5) *
0,6,0 6) *
0,7,0 7) *

FJW> Now, still as root, run "sgcheck". Again, my results are below.

Assignment of generic SCSI devices,
device host/channel/ID/LUN type(numeric type) vendor model:

FJW> (device) (Host/channel/ID/LUN) (Type) (Vender) (Make) <----

/dev/sg0 0/0/2/0 Scanner Color FlatbedScanner_9
/dev/sg1 0/0/3/0 Scanner Color FilmScanner____1

FJW> I added the <---- line just for clarity, you won't get it when you run the command.
FJW>
FJW> Now give everyone permission to use the scanner. Still as root, run:
FJW> chmod 777 /dev/sg*
FJW> where is * was provided to you by the sgcheck output.
chmod 777 /dev/sg0
chmod 777 /dev/sg1
OK

FJW> Still with me? O.K., now check to see that your user can see the scanner by
FJW> running, as the USER, NOT root:
FJW> scanimage -L

device `snapscan:/dev/sg1' is a Acer FilmScanner____1 flatbed scanner
device `snapscan:/dev/sg0' is a Acer FlatbedScanner_9 flatbed scanner

FJW> This will ask scanimage, a command-line scanning program, to list the scanners
FJW> it can see. Although I don't have a scanner hooked to this mail box, on the box
FJW> with one of my c=scanners, a Umax AStra 2200 I get the following:
FJW> "umax:/dev/sg5" is a Umax Astra 2200 flatbed scanner.
FJW>
FJW> Does this help? Yes, No?

Yes, I can now see both scanners in YAST and configure the flatbed scanner.
The filmscanner is not (yet) supported through sane.
I can now also use bith scanners through vuescan on the user level, earlier I only could
run them as root.
I just used the flatbed using xsane, it works great.

FJW> Give all this a go and then let me know what happened in each step. Perhaps the
FJW> best way to reply would be in-line so that your results will easily correspond
FJW> to my directions. I'm going to log out for a while to work on another box; I'll
FJW> check back in about 30 - 45 minutes.
FJW>
FJW> dave
FJW>
FJW>
FJW> --
FJW> David C. Johanson
FJW> Linux Counter # 116410
FJW> Powered by SuSE Linux 7.1
FJW>
FJW> People who behold a phenomenon will often extend their thinking beyond
FJW> it; people who merely hear about the phenomenon will not be moved to
FJW> think at all. -- Goethe

Dave, thanks so much for your help. This is another one from my list of things to fix on my SuSE9.1
--
Frits Wüthrich

< Previous Next >