Re: [SLE] Is there a "find file on system" command?
  • From: Robert Paulsen <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 21:22:42 -0500
On Monday 17 May 2004 19:35, James Knott wrote:
> Robert Paulsen wrote:
> > On Monday 17 May 2004 03:43, Jerome Lyles wrote:
> >>Password:
> >> # find / -name *.rpm
> >>find: paths must precede expression
> >>Usage: find [path...] [expression]
> >> #
> >>
> >>What happened? Isn't '/' enough path for this command?
> >>Thanks,
> >>Jerome
> >
> > You need to put quotes around the expression you are looking for if it
> > contains special characters that the shell will act on (in your case the
> > *). Try this...
> >
> > find / -name "*.rpm"
> >
> > You want the find command to see the *, not the shell.
>
> It works fine for me without the quotes. However, this is on Red Hat 7.3.

If there are no *.rpm files in the current directory then it will work w/o the
quotes. Try the following:

touch xxx.rpm
find . -name *.rpm
find . -name "*.rpm"

Assuming there are some rpm files to find in subdirectories you should see the
difference.
--
Robert C. Paulsen, Jr.
robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx