Re: [SLE] Problem logging in as User
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 20:36, thaiv@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed Suse 9.0 pro onto my desktop at work and everything seemed to work
> fine. However when I tried to long in as a user, I get the following error:
>
> "no write to $Home directory (/)"
> "KDE unable to start ksmserver"
>
> I can log in as root with out any problems. And everything seems to be
> running fine as root. I think something might have gone wrong when the system
> created my user account. Not sure if this is right or not or how to fix the
> system.
>
> The system is a dual boot with windows 2000 and suse 9.0 pro.
> I set up the suse portion of the harddrive with a root partition and also a
> home partition. I can give more info. if required.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Vu

Sounds like the home directory for your user was not created or is not
specified in the passwd file correctly.

Since you can get in as root you can take a look at the /etc/passwd
file. You should see the user you are trying to log in as listed and
the sixth item in that users entry should be something like /home/user
(user is the id of the user you are trying to log in as).

I suspect that this field is blank or has / in it.

To fix it you can do several things. Either edit the passwd file and
add the entry. ( use vipw to do this)

Or if you are using the GUI tools go to the user/group tool and delete
the user and re-add it.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>