Re: [SLE] Problem logging in as User
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 02:43:42 +0200
On Tuesday 18 May 2004 02.36, thaiv@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I installed Suse 9.0 pro onto my desktop at work and everything seemed to
> work fine. However when I tried to long in as a user, I get the following
> error:
>
> "no write to $Home directory (/)"
> "KDE unable to start ksmserver"
>
> I can log in as root with out any problems. And everything seems to be
> running fine as root. I think something might have gone wrong when the
> system created my user account. Not sure if this is right or not or how to
> fix the system.
>
> The system is a dual boot with windows 2000 and suse 9.0 pro.
> I set up the suse portion of the harddrive with a root partition and also a
> home partition. I can give more info. if required.
>
> Any ideas?

Most likely, your home partition wasn't mounted at boot. The system sees
that /home/<username> isn't available, assigns / as home folder, kde tries to
write to it, everything goes bananas

See if you can find something in the logs that tells you why it wasn't
mounted. Perhaps there was an error. or perhaps it isn't assigned properly
in /etc/fstab.

temp solution: mount the home partition on /home, then you should be able to
log in