Re: [SLE] Configuring a systems time - which files to edit?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 00:34:37 +0200 (CEST)

The Monday 2004-05-17 at 18:01 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> configuration files of the KDE time display. The system seems to lose
> approx 10 minutes each time I reboot it. What I cannot understand is
> that on booting linux has to get the time from the CMOS, even if it
> never consults it again. On a shutdown the system time and hardware time
> are synchronised and I think this is where the error is creeping in. so
> therefore for the clock to be wrong linux must not be keeping time
> incorrectly as each time it syncs the software and hardware time it
> compounds the error ie adds more of an error each time it is shutdown.

Delete /etc/adjtime

> Is there perhaps a clock setting that adds minutes to cater for time
> corrections or something that might be enabled? Where can I find the
> files I need to browse and possibly edit, and what are they called?

Yes, there is. In fact, yours is probably unadjusted, and it is the
culprit in your case: deleting the above mentioned file resets it. Read my
microhowto for an explanation:

http://susefaq.sourceforge.net/howto/time.html

If that is not the case, there another issue in suse 9.0:

http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/02/pohletz_xntp_drift.html

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson