Re: [SLE] Forcing a user to logout
  • From: Louis Richards <louis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 16:12:58 -0400
Pieter Hulshoff wrote:

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 10:04:14AM -0400, Louis Richards wrote:

Sometimes killing the root process (normaly /bin/bash) will still leave running processes.

With the kill -9 you put in your script I think that's possible, but would
a kill -HUP cause the same problem if you kill the parent process?

Regards,

Pieter Hulshoff

I think the previous sugestion of "kill -1" would work.

The only time (other than to anger my wife) I have used this command was to clear a client that was locked up hard from some game that froze. I used "-9" and ran it a couple of times till nothing was left and the system came back to life. This was an extreme situation and admitedly overkill for "logging off" a user. Of course, we could always make this another parameter and let people try what they want.

--

Louis D. Richards
LDR Interactive Technologies

< Previous Next >