Re: [SLE] 9.1 Live CD won't boot
** Reply to message from Andy Prough <andylinux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> on Sun, 16 May
2004 22:35:30 -0500

> They put out a bug fix release several days ago. If you go to the mirror sites
> now, you will see that LiveCD-9.1-01.iso is what is on the ftp servers. I
> have gotten it to work just fine on a couple of machines so far. I had to use
> "safe settings" on my Sony laptop, which simply turned off the advanced power
> management features, something I commonly have to do with this laptop.
>
> Andy Prough
> Austin, Texas

Well, I d/l the new and "improved" (?) 9.1 live CD and it still won't load on
my 2.8Ghz Celeron desktop with 512 MB of RAM. Just as in my previous postings
the pooter freezes when it comes to the bit about PCMCIA. Absolutely refuses to
go any farther.

I also tried Anders' suggestion to put "NOHOTPLUG=1" in the boot options. As
before, it does allow the pooter to get past the PCMCIA lines but then, as
before, it again won't proceed properly past the line that says: "linux login:"

As before when you login as "linux" it says "Have a lot of fun" and then you're
screwed. It gives you "linux@linux:~". When you type "startx" at that point it
again gives you the error message: "No link to /var/X11R6/bin/X to the correct
X server binary."
And then there nothing you can do from that point.

This is incredibly frustrating.

Anyone else have an idea (besides using a different pooter -- that's not an
option).
Thx
Gil

< Previous Next >