Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 and Nvidia from YAST = Nothing
  • From: "John N. Alegre" <listhub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 12:13:53 -0500 (CDT)
For me it did not work to install them through YAST.

Go to the nvidia site and download the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run shar
archive. Also read this http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/nvidia-installer-HOWTO.

Things to be aware of ...

Boot into the machine at runlevel 3 and log in as root.

Make sure you have installed a full set of kernel sources BEFORE you run the
shar script as it needs the kernel headers to compile the driver module.

The sax2 step takes a LONG time. During that time there is no progress
indicator just a total blank screen. I have a 2.5GHz Pentium and the first
time I aborted because I thought it was hung ... JUST WAIT.

When you are successful you should see the Nvidia splash screen for a second
before the X splash screen.

Hope this helps
john