Re: [SLE] how great SuSE is: trying another distro you discover that...Slackware 9.1 can't find my /media/cdrom as SuSE can
  • From: Marek Chlopek <emcek2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 18:22:39 +0200
On Monday, 17 of May 2004 17:08, Adagilson Batista Bispo da Silva wrote:
> I'm happy with SuSE 8.0: it's stable and I can connect to internet with
> my winmodem hsp56 based on the humble pcchips mobo M598lmr, play and
> record cds, for writing i have Abi Word, and Gnumeric for spreadsheets.
> Although I want to try newer versions of Abiword, Gnucash, etc. I´m
> avoiding greater risks for SuSE 8.0. I know some people have to make a
> clean install and anothers have reported some programs and dependencies
> became corrupt with upgrades. In addition, restoring the system for a
> point back is not an idea you could count by if you want to make a
> downgrade (if repented).

i understand your point very well, as a SuSE user since 6.4. Some versions did
a lot of problems after updating and the only solution was to clean install
and two days of configuring :-)
however between 8.0 and 9.0 with updated kde (i work on ftp version) is a huge
gap (exactly speaking 1.0 ;-) and it is worth to install it.

> So it was the time to try and compare SuSE with another distro (you
> never know what you are losing when you don't keep your mind open) at
> the same time I can check a newer KDE (3.2) and Gnome (2.4).
> Learning Slackware is just an exercise for increasing my knowledge about
> linux - "learning is the best way to keep your mind youg" ;)

I'm sure you will be back to SuSE as you like yast :-)

all the best,
--
Marek Chlopek

< Previous Next >