Re: [SLE] compiler missing
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 09:19:25 -0500

On Monday 17 May 2004 02:22, John Lamb wrote:
> Don W. Jenkins wrote:
> > I need help in finding and putting an "acceptable" C compiler in my

> > ordered the Personal version for reasons of Kernel version. So how do
> > I get the kind of basic usability I've been used to in "lesser"
> > distros? Unless you know you have provided every program I'm going to
> > need, don't hamstring me in getting them for myself.
>
> 9.1 will shortly appear on mirrors of ftp.suse.com and you can download
> the individual RPMs. Minimally, you'll probably need:
>
> autoconf, automake, binutils, bison, flex, gcc, gcc-c++, glibc-devel,
> m4, and make
>
> In fairness to SuSE, the list of features on the website says explicitly
> that Personal has a 2.6 kernel but does not include
> compilation/development tools.
>
> --
> JDL
I understand that, now... but what puzzles me is why SuSE does that when each
& every free distro contains all this! I can understand not having the
commercial apps, if any, but the devel stuff? C'mon.
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365