Re: [SLE] Re: Palm sync with Evolution in 9.1
  • From: Preston Crawford <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 06:37:38 -0700
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 02:25, John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I *must* be the only person in the entire world masochistic enough to try to
> > sync a Palm device with *anything* in Linux.
>
> Nope - Palms work fine with linux, have for years. I sync my Tungsten T with
> SuSE 8.2 all the time. However, gnome-pilot is *not* as good as some of the
> others. For an easy sync, I'd recommend using JPilot, which calls pilot-link

Two things to note about SuSE 9.1. First off, there is no /dev/pilot
device. So you have to create one by doing one of these as root "ln -s
/dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/pilot". If you do that and setup jpilot properly you
can indeed get jpilot to work (although I wish I could figure out how to
sync AvantGo under jpilot under SuSE 9.1.

> When you do a sync using JPilot, do JPilot and the Palm both report a
> successful sync? If so, try visiting the JPilot list and report this - it
> might be a bug in JPilot.

No. It's a bug in gpilotd as implemented in SuSE 9.1. Jpilot is nice and
everything, but I want to be syncing with Evolution so while jpilot is
nice for backups it's unacceptable that gpilotd is crashing like this
for seemingly no good reason since jpilot works fine.

Preston