Re: [SLE] Silicon Image sil3112a: is this CRAP?
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:02:21 -0400
On Mon, 2004-05-17 at 03:17, Hans du Plooy wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-05-14 at 19:18, SuSE Ground Zero wrote:
> > I am tring to load sata_sil.ko. It loads perfectly but in dmesg doesn't show
> > some new scsi devices. I got just the message "libata version 1.02
> > loaded." and thats all.
> > Do I have to recompile the kernel with config_broken or something else?
> >
> > Linux kcore 2.6.4-54.5-smp #1 SMP Fri May 7 21:30:47 UTC 2004 i686 i686 i386
> > GNU/Linux
> >
> > SuSE 9.1 the latest stock kernel from online update.
>
> I'm posting this back to the list because I don't have any SATA drives
> in my machine to noodle around with, and all the SATA raid machines I've
> worked with worked out of the box, so I don't have any experience
> troubleshooting them.

You apparently have not had the experience of the LSI controller on a
Compaq/HP ML330. No support in the install at all. I was able to compile
a driver under 9.0 with the ever so generous help of Anders. Now with
the 2.6 kernel changes the way things get compiled I will need help
again when I get to installing 9.1.

--
Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989