Re: [SLE] compiler missing
  • From: C Hamel <vgm2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 20:11:07 -0500

On Sunday 16 May 2004 19:56, Don W. Jenkins wrote:
> I need help in finding and putting an "acceptable" C compiler in my
> PATH, because when I download a tarball (any tarball) in Personal 9.1
> and then try to to the ./configure thing after it is untarred, I get an
> error message that I do not have an acceptable C compiler in my PATH.
> I pretty well installed the whole shooting match, and I don't really
> see much of a C compiler at all. Maybe this is something SUSE reserves
> for the special people who pop for the Professional version, but I did
> not want the 2.6 Kernel for reasons of hardware compatibility, so I
> ordered the Personal version for reasons of Kernel version. So how do
> I get the kind of basic usability I've been used to in "lesser"
> distros? Unless you know you have provided every program I'm going to
> need, don't hamstring me in getting them for myself.
>
> Don J.

I was having the same problem. I have ordered SuSE9.1 Pro Update. I
purposely decided to go w/the Personal version since I got burned badly
w/SuSE9 Pro Update. I figured it was cheap insurance that this one would
work on my box. It does. Not being able to have full compilation
capabilities is a PITB. Though I was able to track down a few libs to
compile something simple, I was unable to do anything about libdvdcss or my
favorite time-waster, 'Mahjongg' (which also has to be compiled). The rest
of the libs seem to be very hard to find so it has become a major frustration
for me, as well.

Like yourself, I have been using Linux for awhile (off & on, for roughly nine
or ten years) and am grossly disappointed that the Personal version has fewer
items than the average downloaded distro.

You may as well do it! :-) Upgrade!
http://store.suse.com/dr/sat4/ec_Main.Entry?SP=10007&SID=40017&CID=0&CUR=840&DSP=0&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0
- --
...CH
Avoid doing business with 'The Link' ISP.
SuSE Is All U Need
Linux user# 313696
Linux box# 199365