Re: [SLE] provider DNS response slow after DHCP IP renewal
  • From: poeml@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 19:48:51 +0200
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 05:57:47PM +0200, Patriiiiiiiiiick wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I have a networking issue. Sometimes, because I am switching from one
> comupter to another to connect to the net, my provider doesn't assign my
> IP address through DHCP. I go to the other computer (Windows), release
> the IP and restart the network on mine (SuSE8.2). I do get an IP address
> but the DNS is then VERY slow to respond. I think that a reboot solves
> this issue each time but I presume that it means there is another way to
> solve it.
>
> Any hint knowing that I don't have the possibility to build/buy a router?

Use 'tethereal -n -i ppp0 port 53'

to find out what is going on on the wire, you'll see DNS queries and
probably not updated, but I'm not sure because I don't fully understand
your setup.

You can try whether DHCLIENT_RELEASE_BEFORE_QUIT=yes in
/etc/sysconfig/network/dhcp and 'rcnetwork restart' helps.

Peter