boot delay / probe for hard drives that don't exist [solved]
  • From: User5465465 <suse-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:44:03 -0400
9.1 was probing all the IDE ports at boot and adding about a minute to do so. The only drive I have on IDE is the cd rom (have two hard drives connected to 3ware 7506-4LP in hardware raid 1 array). I was getting messages like these in the boot sequence:

hda: no response (status = 0xfe), resetting drive
hdb: no response (status = 0xfe), resetting drive

I fixed it by editing /boot/grub/menu.lst and adding "hda=none hdb=none hdd=none" to the kernel line (hdc is the cd rom drive). Of course, if I change my hardware around I may have to edit this to reflect the changes.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone else has this issue...

-p
  • No further messages