Re: [SLE] dual boot system: partition table problem, XP does not boot anymore
  • From: Martin Farmilo <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:31:28 +0100
On Sunday 16 May 2004 21:33, Joe Peer wrote:

> hi all!
>
> I've got a huge problem: I have an IBM T41 notebook with a 40G harddisk. I
> had XP and Mandrake 10 on it, and both systems booted and ran well. Then, i
> installed SuSE Linux 9.0 over the Mandrake distro, and since then, Win XP
> does not boot anymore:  the XP startup logo appears for 2 seconds and then
> i get a bluescreen telling me STOP 0x000000ED - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.

I most often see this in XP when hardware (mostly the motherboard) has been
changed. XP boots so far, then when it comes to use its own native drivers
for hard drive access, they no longer work for this hardware so it can no
longer see the boot volume. Not much of a clue with a laptop I suppose, since
you're hardly going to be swapping the main board of that for one with a
different chipset. You could also try taking a look at the MS info on this
error http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q297185&; just
to see if it helps.

Martin