Autologout from KDE/GNOME
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 08:25:30 -0400
The shells have long had a feature to force a logout after a period of
idle time, but I am unaware of a feature either in GNOME or KDE to force
a logout at the desktop level.

The password solution of the screen saver is not appropriate for this
instance.

What I would like is a similar feature, but instead of simply locking
the screen, it would cause the user to be logged out of the KDE or GNOME
desktop.

I suppose that I could write a screen saver to kill the display manager
(eg. ctrl-alt-backspace). But, since this is not for me, I was wondering
if either a product or hidden feature is available.

The scenario as I understand it is that there is a shared PC in a common
area, and some of the users forget to logout after they are through
using the system. The password protected screen saver would cause more
problems by effectively locking out other users. In the past, I thought
that there were some products available for commercial Unix systems.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group