Re: [SLE] dual boot system: partition table problem, XP does not boot anymore
  • From: Malke Routh <malke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 05:14:12 -0700
On Sun, 2004-05-16 at 13:33, Joe Peer wrote:
> hi all!
>
> I've got a huge problem: I have an IBM T41 notebook with a 40G harddisk. I had
> XP and Mandrake 10 on it, and both systems booted and ran well. Then, i
> installed SuSE Linux 9.0 over the Mandrake distro, and since then, Win XP
> does not boot anymore: the XP startup logo appears for 2 seconds and then i
> get a bluescreen telling me STOP 0x000000ED - UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME.
>
> I am totally puzzled, because i did not expect the SuSE installation routine
> to mess up my partition table or MBR, since all the messy work (resizing NTFS,
> re-partitioning, etc.) has been successfully completed when i installed
> Mandrake, and both systems (XP, mandrake) have coexisted peacefully.
> Therefore i thought installing SuSE over mandrake will be a piece of cake.
>
> Here is my current hard disk layout:
> -------------------------------------
>
> Disk /dev/hda: 5168 cylinders, 240 heads, 63 sectors/track
> Units = cylinders of 7741440 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0
>
> Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
> /dev/hda1 * 0+ 1081 1082- 8179888+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/hda2 1082 4706- 3625- 27401472 5 Extended
> /dev/hda3 4707 5167 461 3485160 83 Linux
> /dev/hda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
> /dev/hda5 1082+ 2147- 1066- 8058424+ b Win95 FAT32
> /dev/hda6 2147+ 4242- 2095- 15838168+ 83 Linux
> /dev/hda7 4242+ 4706- 464- 3504784+ 82 Linux swap
>
> I can boot Linux (which is on /dev/hda6) and it runs well, and interestingly,
> i can access both windows partitions from Linux (/dev/hda1 as /windows/C, /
> dev/hda5 as /windows/d).
>
> BTW, SuSE installed the GRUB boot manager, so i thought maybe this has
> something to do with it. I used YAST2 to change it to LILO, but this did not
> help either.
>

> To sum up: I am left now with a non-booting XP and a working linux system.
> However, i need XP for my job. I have read that i can run a CHKDSK from the
> XP recovery CD, but i am hesitating for 2 reasons:
> 1. i fear that this will make linux unaccessible to me (kill the grub
> bootmanager, etc.)
> 2. i have to get the XP CD from the Sysadmin, who will get mad at me when i
> explain the situation :-]
>
> what do you think causes my problem? how can i fix it? What would you do in my
> situation? Thanks!

Joe - If you didn't change the partitioning (and you've confirmed this
for yourself by knowing that nothing has changed), then perhaps it is
just the mbr that has gotten messed up for Windows. Unfortunately, you
will need a Windows XP cd to try to repair it.

Boot with the XP cd and choose the first "R" for Repair. This will get
you to the Recovery Console. Unless you set an administrative password,
the default is blank (yes, yes, I know this is lame). Once in the
Recovery Console, you'll probably want to do:

fixmbr
fixboot
bootcfg

Here's the link to an explanation of the Recovery Console commands, or
just Google "XP Recovery Console commands".

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_console_cmds.mspx

Now see if you can get into XP. Of course, you will then have to boot
with the SuSE cd and reinstall Grub.

Good luck,

Malke
--