wireless working
  • From: "Don W. Jenkins" <jinxinker@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:19:55 -0700 (PDT)
I had given up on getting my wireless card working in Linux, but then
something happened. I don't know what. I had done all kinds of
hand-stands to get a driver module for my Proxim wireless card, which I
think has the Hermes II chip to compile first of all, and then load,
but I couldn't get a distro to even see the card, so there wasn't much
possiblity of getting any further with the process. I had feared this
would sink my Linux affair after these six years, and finding Windows
2000 Server, which has been very solid and trouble free didn't help.
Then with my fast wireless connection, I thought I'd try downloading
SUSE's live ISO to try 9.1 personal. I specifically stuck with the
personal version to keep with Kernel 2.4.*, aa the chip isn't supposed
to work with 2.6. The ISO booted into KDE with no problem, and I found
Yast2 and tried the Network device part, and lo and behold, it not only
saw the card, it already had configured it! It was running. I browsed a
while just to convince myself, and then I ordered a copy of SUSE 9.1
Personal, which I installed yesterday. It installed pretty well, and
true to form, it just sees and configures my wireless card and I can
use it without doing anything else. I have no idea why SUSE can do
this and others can't even find it. There were other odd things, like
the CD1 was not the installation CD, but the live CD, and CD2 is the
installation CD, contrary to the instructions. Could be frustrating to
someone who didn't persist a little. And the sound module shows
configured, but I get no sound, but that will get sorted out. I don't
like RPM's, but I do like Linux and not Windows, and I do like being
able to use my fast wireless connection.

Don't know how it happens.

Don J.

=====
Don W. Jenkins
"Ms. Jaggers" |
'84 XJ6 Gray/Gray | "People will let you do whatever you will"
--Max Farce