SuSE 9.1 & /sbin/SuSEconfig configuration files
  • From: Anthony Edwards <anthony.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 04:20:58 +0100
I have been running SuSE since 7.3, and am currently running 8.2
Professional. In the last 24 hours, I have installed 9.1 Professional
on an old testbed machine to evaluate it.

I would like to upgrade my main machine, with the proviso that I need
to be able to override a change that SuSE have made to the default
Blackbox window manager configuration, which is slightly odd and a
visual mess to say the least.

Blackbox relies on two global configuration files:

/usr/share/blackbox/menu
/usr/share/blackbox/styles/$STYLE

The second can easily be edited of course to amend the appearance of
the preferred style (Rancor in my case) to be as previous versions (in
fact, I can just overwrite the "new" style template with the old one).

However, /usr/share/blackbox/menu is a little more problematic
as I understand that if I edit this file manually, my edit will be
overwritten each time I run SuSEconfig; after each YaST Online Update,
or installation of software using YaST2, for instance.

It is presumably possible, though, to edit the file which SuSEconfig
invokes when writing the Blackbox configuration so that it
re-configures it each time how I want it.

Does anyone know the location of the file concerned, and whether this
can be done?

--
Anthony Edwards
anthony.edwards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx