Re: [SLE] Any wireless experts out there?
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 22:29:00 -0400
On Saturday 15 May 2004 09:56 pm, Bill Wisse wrote:
> Thank you Khanh for answering my email
>
> On Saturday 15 May 2004 14:31, Khanh Tran wrote:
> > I don't know if the Netgear serves a DNS server in the DHCP lease,
> > but this is generally what your problem is from
>
> I'm not to sure what you mean by this, can you explain a little bit more?

Somewhere, somehow, you have to pick up an address for a DNS server and get it
into /etc/resolv.conf. I've always manually put in such an address but a
dial-up connection should also pick one up. Question is: where does that
happen in a wireless connect and that should be a function of your wireless
connection box I would think.

But /etc/resolv.conf is the place to look to see what's happening with DNS on
your machine and if there's no ip address for a DNS server in there, then you
have no DNS server working for you.

> > Also, make sure your DNS servers actually show up in /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> I looked in this file and the only thing what's there is:
>
> search local
>
> I'm banging my head against the wall , it is probably just a little
> thing what I forget but I just cannot get it to work again because it all
> worked until last Tuesday when it gave up on me.
>
> --
> Greetings from
>
> /bill at 169 west , 19 south.
>
> Disclaimer: Any errors in spelling, tact, or fact are
> transmission errors."

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 05/15/04 22:26 +
"Always forgive your enemies-- nothing annoys them so much." --Oscar Wilde