Re: [SLE] Fonts very small after SuSE 9.0 update
  • From: Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 16:35:34 -0400
Andre Truter wrote:

> On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:43:36 -0400 Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > Andre Truter wrote:

> > > In any case, my XFConfig file does not include a "DisplaySize" setting

> > That's why you have a problem.

> OK, trick question: How do I know what the display size should be?
> I ran Sax2 again, but in the option fr display size, it gives 0 x 0

Sounds like Sax2 is broken. Or, maybe your monitor is not DDC.

> Is there a way to calculate this? The resolution is set to 1024x768

I'm not sure how SuSE expects you to, but try the values in the table as
a place to start: http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/auth/dpi.html

Choose values that suit you, not necessarily the "correct" values for
your monitor. I find "correct" values generally make everything too
small for me.

> Why did it work before and not anymore. It used to work without a DisplaySize setting.

The transition from the old font server (fontconfig) to the new font
server (xft) is a long slow process that all recent Linux distros are
suffering through to varying degrees. It probably should work without
one if you have a DDC monitor, but given your experience and that of
many others, problems obviously remain.
--
"Be wise in the way you act toward outsiders; make the most of every
opportunity." Colossians 4:5 NIV

Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata *** http://members.ij.net/mrmazda/

< Previous Next >