Re: [SLE] Huge boot delay with 9.1
  • From: Vince Littler <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 20:28:10 +0100
On Friday 14 May 2004 9:36 pm, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> The Friday 2004-05-14 at 20:29 +0100, Vince Littler wrote:
> > Thanks Tim for your reply. In my case, I boot with splash=verbose and
> > after leaving GRUB, _nothing_ is displayed for almost exactly 2 minutes
> > after the messages indicating what GRUB did. The HD is also silent for
> > the duration. After the 2 minutes, there is a brief rapid disk action,
> > and then the console displays boot messages, including the SCSI drivers
> > activating. Reiserfs activity comes after this - it is not part of my
> > delay.
>
> It must be waiting for something. Did you look at the console 10 at that
> moment?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Carlos Robinson

[Sorry Carlos, sent this to you 1st time and not to the list. More sleep would
be good!]

Yes, I agree, it seems to be waiting for something. But what?

2 minutes = 4 * 30 seconds in old money. Probing master and secondary on 2 IDE
channels? [I'm totally SCSI.] Or something else.

What is so perplexing is that there are no consoles running at that point. I
have the GRUB load messages on screen. If I boot failsafe, these remain for
the 2 minutes, but they blank if I boot the Linux option of GRUB. I only get
console 1 appearing after the 2 minutes, at which point the boot messages
look roughly similar to those with 9.0 and the stock kernel.

Fortunately, I still have my 9.0 installation running on the machine, but I
will try another boot of 9.1, and see if console 10 gives any more clues.
There are some minor complaints in the boot log about DSDT and interrupt
routing and Linux doing an impression of Marvin the Paranoid Android along
the lines of "if your BIOS won't do PCI, then I suppose I'll have to", but it
is pretty much the same in 9.0. Nothing stands out, otherwise.

I could live with it, I suppose, but I think it is worth getting to the bottom
of this, because any newbie and many oldies would give up looking at a blank
screen after about 20s and say "it's broken". FWIW, the behaviour is the same
for a DVD boot. [Not tried the CD.] It is only many years of OS/2 installs
which has taught me to sit still and give it a chance, particularly at
install time. Good thing is now that even with 4 machines, and a release
every 6 months, I am getting out of practice at installing!

All the best

Vince