SATA: how many drives
  • From: Hans du Plooy <hansdp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 13:04:56 +0200
Hi all,

I just noticed something. I have a Sil1332 SATA controller with two ports on.
I used to be under the impression that SATA works on the principal of one
drive per controller.

But looking at my dmesg, I see the SATA controller offers hde, hdf, hdg and
hdh. Does this mean I can put use two drives per port, i.e. four in total?
How does it work? I've only ever seen cables for one drive per port.

If it is indeed two drives per port, does it have the same problem as IDE -
that it can talk to only one drive at a time. Or is it more independant,
like scsi?

Thanks
--
Kind regards