Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1 Feedback - Anyone ?
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2004 10:26:17 +0200
Hi

On Saturday 15 May 2004 02:40, Thom Nuzum wrote:
> Hard disk geometry of 16 heads seems like it may be a major problem with
> the 2.6 kernel. Bad for dual booters.

I wouldn't put it that way.

We do have several reports from customers who can't boot into WinXP anymore
after installing 9.1. And so far all of these cases have one thing in common:
the hard disk geometry is reported to be one with 16 heads. It's also true
that this appears to be specific to using a 2.6 kernel. But other than that
we don't know (yet).

I don't think, however, that it can be deduced from this that in general hard
disk geometry of 16 heads together with kernel 2.6 are a general probelm (for
fual booting into WinXP at least).

Anyway: for those that recognise this problem: the only "cure" that we have
found so far is to change the BIOS setting to access the hard disk in LBA
mode explicitly (rather then "auto" or similar). Unfortunately not all BIOS
versions do offer such an option.

Obviously we will document the solution as soon as we have one (in the support
data base).

If anyone can contribute to a solution on this topic, please e-mail me
directly. It's hard for us to tacle this problem because we haven't got a
machine where we could reproduce this.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut